Saturday, September 02, 2006

What do you do with a 2 1/2 year old with a flare for the over dramatic? The boy will never win an oscar if he keeps this up. Yesterday morning was particularly bad. Ken had gone upstairs to finish the painting and even out the floor so he could lay the laminate. I needed a shower so I asked Alex what he wanted to watch he said Blue so I put the DVD in that usually gives me at least a half hour to wash my face, brush my teeth and shower. I told him where I would be and started to head up. He decided he wanted his backpack, so I got it and helped him put it on, and continued on my way. Well he decided to follow me. I stopped to talk to Ken and let him know too. I heard Alex start sobbing, he was three steps from the bottom, his backpack on the floor. "Backpack fell, can't reach it, can't reach it, Backpack!!!" I'm asking him to calm down, and tell him to go down the three steps and get the backpack so I can help him put it on. After saying the exact same thing several times it seems to sink in and he does what I ask. I help him put it on and head to the masterbath. He follows me and it slides of once more, whining and tears commence. I help him a second time but this time I tighten the straps so it won't fall off so easy. He runs off and I get in the shower. Ten minues later,he's in in the bathroom again crying like a limb has been torn off. I pull back the curtain, head full of shampoo, expecting to see I don't know what because he really sounds like he's in pain. He's just standing there tears streaming down his face, nothing apparently wrong. I try talking him back to calm, at least enough so I can figure out what he's crying about. I get little bits and peices and and assume it's about his backpack because he no longer has it on. I ask him if he can reach it where he dropped it. That seems to take him down to sniffles and he runs off. A minute later he's back with his backpack and I've rinsed the shampoo from my hair. I help him again and he runs off. I take the rest of my shower in peace.

I find out later that he'd been in the nursery with Ken and had decided to tap on the window with a pair of pliers. Ken asked him to stop, he did the dear in headlights freeze. And dropped the pliers almost down the open heating vent. So Ken yells trying to catch it before it falls down, luckily it falls cock-eyed. This is what sent Alex off in crying to me. But there have been a lot of incidents similar to this. Whenever he drops somthing or can't find something right away he starts panicky crying. Even earlier that morning he couldn't find his juice cup and started to panic. I asked him where he usually puts it, then I say "Is it in your thinking chair?" He jumps off the couch and runs over to his chair low and behold, there's his juice cup, he's all smiles. How do I get him to slow down and think about where things might be, before an automatic burst into tears? This is driving me nuts. I keep having to talk him down before I can even ask questions or give leads on where to look. Because I'm not going to keep track of his stuff his entire life, I can barely keep track of mine.

Other than that this has been the week from hell. The first four days no internet, still no high speed. I have a feeling even though Comcast told us 7-10 days (I'm assuming from Tuesday when the tech was here) before maintenence comes to tweek the node. That that's not going to happen because they're replacing cable in our development, my guess is they think about it once they're done with that, which could be who knows when. Anyway we've contacted earthlink, which we still have an account with because that's where Ken has part of his website hosted. We upgraded to DSL with them so as soon as the modem gets here we should be back up to speed, for a thirty day trial. If Comcast doesn't fix this by next Friday we're canceling.

Of course last night we lost power for a good hour then off and on the rest of the night. It went out while Alex was watching Monsters Inc. DO you know how hard it is to explain to a two year old that I can't fix the TV because there is no power. Luckily it was close to his bed time and after 10 minutes he gave up and decided he wanted to go to bed. I read a couple stories by flashlight. The power had gone out while Ken had made a run to Lowe's so when he got back he found a light stick for us to leave with Alex, lit candles downstairs so we could save battery power in the flashlights. We lost power for about a half hour this morning as well. Luckily it was easier to distract Alex during daylight.

Last weekend was a festival for italian foods in Baltimore. I didn't go but, lots of stuff was in the Sun this week about it. This of course got me thinking about things my grandmother used to make namely pizzelles and fried dough. The pizzelle we got at BJs Thursday night. I called my dad to find out how my grandmother made the fried dough. He got back to me yesterday so I made it this morning. Big mistake. I spent most of the day in pain from the huge gas bubble under my ribs, I think maybe it was the yeast in the bread dough, who knows. About quarter of 4:00 the mylanta I took finally worked. Good thing Ken's wedding was a late one so he was around to help with Alex and by the time he left Alex was napping. I was almost back to normal by the time he woke at quarter of 5:00. I hope next week goes better.

No comments: