Wednesday, July 12, 2006

I have a very mopy little boy today. My mom left with my niece and nephew this morning. I think Alex knew it was coming all morning, so he kind of distanced himself from everyone. Even as they said good bye from the door he wouldn't get out of his chair. It's like he thought if he ignored it they wouldn't leave. The big surprise for me was the kids didn't want to leave either. I'm chalking up the lack of enthusiasm for anything to age. Any time we asked them if the liked something or had fun the answer was "it was okay" Something to look forward to in 8-9 years, the joys of being a parent to preteens.

I was able to take Alex's mind off his mopiness (is that a word?) by having him help me clean up the family room so I could vacuum. Nothing like having guests coming over to get you motivated to clean. I host playgroup tomorrow. I probably should have traded with someone but oh well. The entire first floor has been swept, dusted, and vacuumed and the bathroom cleaned.Laundry is almost finished, my third load just has to be moved to the dryer.

I really hate hot muggy weather, I've lived in this area how long? 15-20 years you'd think at this point I would be used to summer weather here. I just want to go back to Rehoboth Beach. Yesterday was gorgeous there. A nice breeze just enough cloudiness so that the sun isn't beating down on you. The ocean was a brisk 72-75 degrees, perfect. My mom kept thanking me last night and this morning for taking her. I know she missed having her annual trip to the beach the last three years. I'm gathering info so we can plan a week long trip for next summer. My mom definately wants to come, she's hoping to convince my sister to join us. If not she's kidnapping the kids again.

Alex had a grand time too. It was one huge sandbox to him. You should have seen his face light up when he saw all that sand.:roflol: At the end I even got him to go in the water a bit, getting him past his current fear of water. Earlier in the afternoon we just played in the sand close to the water. Then later we went back up and played just inches from where the tide was hitting. Eventually I got him to stand up and move a bit closer. The first time the water hit his toes he was so surprised he sat down. By the third or forth time he was laughing. At about 4 we packed up took everything back to the car and wandered the boardwalk a bit. Played some skee ball Jessie won two animals, I won one. Mom said her and Brandon just had bad lanes. :lol: Alex helped me for a bit at first. He'd throw the balls on to the lane, I'd wait for them to roll back to me then make my actual roll. Then he saw the box with the animal prizes, and started playing with one of the snakes. So when I finally won one, I told him he could keep it. He kept putting it back, he was being polite I guess, he knew they weren't his so when he was done he put it back. It was too cute, finally I convinced him it was okay, that he could have one.

We got home a little after 7:00. I ordered dinner. Alex had french fries twice that day, made him very happy. Mom had the kids get most of their stuff together and take showers. Sge knows how much they hate getting up in the morning and figured they'd rather sleep longer than get moving so they coule be on the road by 9am. (They ended up leaving at 9:30 but close enough).
Let's see Monday was boring day. I figured we'd do nothing since I had to wait around all afternoon for Ken's drill press to be delivered. Guess what, the guy showed at noon. So after Alex's nap we went to Coldstone. Alex is really starting to recognize places. As soon as we got to the main road before I turn into the plaza it's in he started calling "ice cream, ice cream" Which is sad in a way, I thought I only went there every couple months but I guess it's been more often than I thought. I get home Ken has already moved the drill press down to his workroom, I hand him his ice cream and get a huge kiss. Can you say good mood.

I got everything together so I could go to work, then go out and grab the mail. And what do I find in the mail a letter from picture.com. The photo I submitted is a semi finalist in their amature photography competition for the children's category. It's going to be published in one of the books the International Library of Photography puts out several times a year. I could careless if I win, though a $1000 is nothing to sneeze at. Ken's reaction was "Photography is good to this family"

My mom stopped in B&N while I was working, her and Jessie found something to read, Brandon just followed his sister around and annoyed her. Anyway she told me Ken was so proud of himself he Iron Chefed it for dinner. Meaning he came up from his hole, I mean workshop, and realized it was 6:15 and there were people in the house and no dinner. I hadn't left anything out for him figuring he'd be grilling something anyway. Put he put something together using the ground turkey we bought Saturday. To top that off Alex actually ate pretty good at dinner, surprising since he'd had ice cream earlier in the afternoon.

Sunday I worked as well. My mom got in about an hour before I got home. She told me my uncle Chris had offered to pay for her room out in CA so she could go to the reunion, (or "Gathering of the Clan" as my mom's Aunt Peggy calls it). My mom had told him if he'd asked her two weeks ago she probably would have jumped on it but between starting with a new client and everything being up in the air with the firm she can't now. I did burn couple CD's of the photos I've scanned and restored, for her to give to Chris today so he can take them to CA. They're meeting him for lunch on the way back because he wants to see the kids. So since Sunday night I've been trying to get through as many of the little photos as I can. I ended up send a bunch that were scan only. Even though it takes only 15-20 minutes on the little ones there were close to 40 left that I hadn't gotten to. Now I'm back to working at my leisure which means after the album I have due the 19th.

No comments: