Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Guess it's fast or feast in here.

Sometimes my son just cracks me up. The heat had me wanting a softserve ice cream. But since there isn't anything within ten minutes of us, we went for second best, Sundaes at Friendly's. We are in so much trouble when Alex hits his teens. The table kitty corner from us had a boy and a girl about 12-13 years old sitting at it. Obviously on a date (her mom was on the other side of the wall) Alex was trying to flirt with her as we waited for our sundaes. So as we almost finished, he climbed over me so that he was sitting at the end of the booth. Better flirting angle I guess. A few minutes later he moves to the other side to sit next to his dad. The entire time he's watching this girl and every time she glanced at him he smiled. I leaned over the table and told him he needed to pick someone closer to his age right now, ten years was too much. He just smiled at me and went back to watching her.


I don't know why this is bothering me still it happened over two weeks ago and it's just so minor in the sceme of things as to be ridiculous but it is. To under stand why you need to know that I was a pretty voracious reader, before child. I still read alot just not as quickly and sometimes there are gaps. I used to go through an average novel (300-350 pages) in a day or two. If it was longer than say 500 pages it might take me 4-5 days. Non-fiction will depend on the subject and how much it reads like a novel how quickly I read it. So biographies, essays and some history move faster than science, psychology or current affairs. Everything now takes longer. 3-5 days for an average novel, a week to week and a half for longer ones. Now this is also compounded by the fact that I usually have 2-3 things I'm reading at a time, magazines and non-fiction titles in addition to the novel. It's just the habit I picked up from my mom. About a month ago I pick up a novel by an author I've read before. Her stuff is nothing spectacular but enjoyable for what it is. Well two weeks later I'm still not halfway through this book. I finished the book of essays I was reading at the time, in 4 days and started a mystery and finished it. Now usually when a book doesn't catch me right off, I give it time or slog my way through (probably from sheer perversity). I got to the point where I couldn't even pick the thing up, not even sure what bothered me about it, so I took it back and got something else. So it's really silly that this is bothering me, must be the hormones.

No comments: