Monday, April 24, 2006

I'm back got home Saturday night a little later than I figured. It's amazing how tense and tired driving in a downpour can make you. We were just outside of Frederick when it started. Now at this time of day I'd normally make it from there to home in about and hour. Obivously not last night. I think I still have a knot in my shoulder from how hard I was gripping the wheel. Then from Towson to I-95 Alex was completely distraught. He dropped both his monkey and his juice cup. There is really no where to stop on 695 so i was just trying to get home. He was trying everything in the book he could think of to get me to stop. "Mik,MIk, diaer chane, diaer chane, juice, juice , monksey monksey." Eventually his voice started to fade on him and he passed out.

I let him sleep while I unloaded the car. Carried him upstairs, he didn't wake until I started to undress him and get him in his pjs. I think when he saw where his was he didn't know whether to laugh or cry. But he was very happy to sleep in his own bed again.

Anyway let's go back to the beginning. Tuesday was actually a good drive up to Girard. Weather was nice we missed most of the traffic we could have hit. The one funny point was when we stopped for an afternoon snack at one of the places along the turnpike. While snacking on french fries, Alex is saying "hi" and smiling at everyone who walks by. If they kept walking towards the door he'd wave and say "bye" It was just too cute.

We got to my mom's in time for dinner and unloaded the car. Once we got everything upstairs Alex looked around. He's really starting to recognize places. Mom didn't have the PNP up yet and I hear this little voice ask "Where my bed?" After dinner we set it up and got Alex settled. My mom gave me Sherri's number. I honestly have't talked to or seen her since HS. Heh I haven't talked to or seen most of the people I knew from HS, since college if not HS. It was great talking to her. She's still close friends with Patti, who not only lived the next street over from us but I also played fast pitch softball with her. We made tentative plan to all get together Friday.

Wednesday was our kick back and do nothing day. I figured I'd need the rest because usually Alex wakes several times the first night when we travel, sometimes even ending up in bed with us/me. He actually slept through the night. This recognizing places is a good thing. We did both take a nap but for me it was because I didn't actually fall asleep until 3:30. I knew I shouldn't have had that frappicino at 4:30 Tuesday.

We went over to my sister's around 3pm. That's when the kids get home from school. Alex knew Jessica, it took him a bit to get used to Brandon again. He's gotten taller once more, and his hair grew out some too. Alex wasn't too sure about their dog Cassie, she's a big baby but she barks and jumps. Since she's as tall as Alex when on all fours it scared him a little. Then Brandon got out his trains, that was all Alex needed to get comfortable. They set up a simple loop so there were extra track pieces. After they'd been playing for a while the cat came up and started playing with the extra pieces. This cracked Alex up and he let out a high pitch squeal of excitement. The cat literally shot up into the air then right up the ferret's cage. She's sitting on top of this cage, which is 6ft tall, looking down with a "what the hell was that" expression. Then Alex, seeing me and Karen cracking up squeals again. The cat realizes it was nothing and now looks embarassed and does the "I'm always sitting up here" nonchalant act. Everytime I think about it I still laugh. It's not fair because it hurts.

They ordered pizzas and Karen went to go get them once Bobby got home. Jessica went with her and in the process distracted her. She ran into my car. So there is now a nice dent in the driver's side door. I have to go get an estimate for the repair sometime this week. She gave me some money towards this and I'll get the rest once the estimate comes in. Of course my step brothers and Bill are going to rib her about this for months, maybe years.

Thursday was our shopping day. We stopped at mom's office on the way out. I had said that morning was better because we all know at this point how cranky Alex gets even after a nap, in the afternoon. It was a good thing we chose morning. My mom couldn't have done any work anyway. The phone system as well as internet was down as they upgraded everything.

We tried to keep stops to a minimum. The first being BRU. I needed to get presents for two baby showers, coming up in May. As well as get a potty for Alex. We'll start on actual training this summer but I want him to get used to the idea, since he's starting to realize when he goes on his own.Next was the mall so I could get my Anniversary present for Ken. Third is leather and Ken needs new belts. We made a quick stop at motherhood for bras and shirt I could wear to work. All my non-knit shirts are too tight through the arms. I guess lifting 25-27 lbs of child several times a day works your muscles.

We stopped for a lunch/snack at Ruby Tuesday, then our final stop for the day was Old Navy. Alex was drifting off to sleep as I dropped my mom off at work. I let Alex sleep in the car a bit but he woke as I went to check on him. He also started crying when he realized "MA" wasn't there. I don't think he saw her get out. I got him calmed down and into quiet time. (I don't think he ever went back to sleep).

Let's see Thursday night my mom made a cheesecake. Then Friday morning Alex and I just hung out. My mom slept in late I was getting pretty hungry so had breakfast. She apologized, she meant to get up at 9:00 not 10:00. I figured she needed the sleep. 80 hour weeks take a toll on anyone. My stepbrothers stopped by to hang out with Bill and talk about the NFL draft.

After breakfast we went over to the library so that I could drop off the books I was donating. I go through all my books before I go to see my mom because I know the library will take them. They are a small community library not part of the state system and all but a small part of their budget is from donations. I figure if I'm unlikely to read a book again I might as well give it to them. A quick stop at the new natural foods shop, then back home. Lunch (pancakes, Alex was in heaven) and naptime once more. Though I had to run back out to Old Navy because I forgot to bring a couple shirts Alex got as a belated birthday present. I liked the shirts but they were winter weight and size 2T. He fills out most of his 2Ts pretty well so by the time he'd wear these they'll be too small. I exchanged them for a pair of canvas sneakers, a t-shirt, and a pack of socks.

My sister came over with the kids right around dinner. They'd eaten so Alex played with his cousins instead of being tortured by dinner. Sherri called around 6pm. She and Patti would be there to pick me up around 8pm. Karen and the kids left around 7:00. I got Alex into a bath, then bed. Ten minutes later they arrived. Patti was surprised at how much the house felt the same. Bill has done a lot of renovations but I guess it still feels warm and inviting.

Patti hadn't changed a bit, other than her short hair was frosted and the laugh lines around her eyes were deeper. Sherri gained weight but then so did I (a good 80lbs for me). I think Sherri really came into her own since HS. My mom thinks for a long time she was in her sister's shadow. My thoughts were that she had two faces in school. One for everyone, serious, smart good in school and then the more fun personality she shared with her friends. I think the fun personality has taken over. I only ever caught glimpses of it in school. But then I was on the edges of a lot of groups, I kind of moved in and out of them as I needed to. I had a core group of about 3-4 friends and just hung out with everyone else.

We went to Dairy Queen got some dessert we talked so long that they kicked us out so they could close. So we took the long way back to my house via the covered bridge and the back roads. Pointing out where people used to live and talking about who was were, some still in the area some not. At one point they drove by what they thought but weren't quite sure was Rob's house ( he also graduated with us). So Sherri rolled down the window and yelled "Hey Rob" But since it was raining Patti kept driving. They have now warned me that since they know where I now live not to be surpised if late one evening I hear "Hey Cheryl" Mostly because they both come down this way. Sherri's sister is in Northern VA, and Patti's ex (also an Alum) lives in a town ten minutes from me. She brings her daughter down to stay with him during school vacations.

We got home earlier than planned, talked for a bit longer. I went in had another dessert and tea with my mom then went to bed. Most of the next morning was spent packing. Mom got to sleep late again. I loaded the car as she made breakfast. My sister stopped by once more so the kids could say goodbye. Looks like we have talked her into letting them come down here for a week or so in July. It'll be good for them to get away and see new things.

Mom and I had sorted through old photos one afternoon. Mostly because I needed some images for a page idea that's been floating around in my head. But we found a lot of stuff that needs to be scanned and saved. So I packed all that stuff up to take home. In the process we found lots of pictures of my sister and me growing. I don't know why I thought I was overweight in HS. My mom thinks it was because I was a skinny kid until I hit puberty and once I filled out I was a lot bigger than I was used to. I was and 11 in HS which was pretty average. I think what also contributed to this misconception was that my first two years in college I lost a lot of weight. I was down to a 7 at one point. I guess that made me think I'd been fat before. I was back up to a 9/10 by end of college. Then ballooned up after the break up of a relationship. I got back down to a 12 by my wedding after Alex I was a solid 14, until I went of the pill and once more ballooned up. No more pill for me after this, just screws with my metabolism.

No comments: