Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Tangents, that seems to be my normal thought process. I think about one thing then it reminds me of something else, sometimes randomly, so I leave off the one thought and follow the other. I’ve gotten better about not talking when my brain does this mostly because it confuses the hell out of Ken. SO yesterday in the shower I was shaving my legs and wishing it was winter and I didn’t need to shave so often. This made me think about how when I’m pregnant the rate of leg hair growth for the entire pregnancy seems to be determined by the time of year I get pregnant. I got pregnant in spring with Alex so I needed to shave a moderate amount, every two or three days. With Quin I got pregnant in winter so only needed to shave once or twice a week. If I get pregnant in August or September (hoping for a spring baby) that means I’ll have to shave every other day, so depressing.

Baby reminds me of family which lead to thinking about my parents wedding pictures which I recently scanned. This in turn got me thinking about their divorce and how it didn’t affect me in a typical way. Most kids go through a stage where the hope their parents will get back together. I didn’t, maybe it was my age. I was 16 when they separated. All I felt was relief; most of the tension in the house was gone once my dad moved out. My sister on the other hand did go through that stage briefly. But she’s 2 ½ years younger and her personality is such that she hates surprises. She likes things predictable and stable.

I think it dawned on her pretty quickly that it was a good thing not to have dad around, hounding on her about grades and chores. Now I wouldn’t say my dad was verbally abusive, but he might have been considered so now days. I think he was typical of when he grew up and the way to encourage your kids to get better grades was through backhanded compliments and nagging. “You’re smart enough why didn’t you get A’s instead of B’s. Apply yourself, study more.” Usually in a voice just below a yell. He also would yell about nonsensical things. Both parents work so after a certain age part of our chores became light house cleaning; vacuuming and dusting and such. (Must be why I can’t stand dusting to this day, I really should do it more. Especially with Ken’s and now Alex’s allergies) see another tangent, more on that later.
I usually took care of the dining/family room every week. My mom would come home and thank me; my dad would see the one spot that was still messy. And would you like to know why it was messy. It was his stack of magazines, papers and torn out articles. If I straightened it up I’d get yelled at because he couldn’t find what he was looking for. If I left it he’d yell because the room was a mess (you can see the exaggeration here). No win situation for me. It was easier to no straighten it up and get the sympathetic pat on the shoulder from my mom and let my dad yelling roll off my back.

So on to the kids, Quin is rolling and starting to babble words, mostly Mamamama and aweh, aweh. The later he does when Alex is around so I’m assuming he’s trying to get his brother’s attention. They’re starting to play more together. Alex’s cars seem to be motivation Quin to want to crawl. I asked Alex if Quin could play with some of his cars. I got this semi-horrified look and he started reaching for his matchbox sized cars. I told him no not those; Quin is too small for those. You should have seen the huge look of relief on his face. I asked for some of the playschool rubber/plastic ones. He was happy to share those.
Alex had a cold right after we got back from my mom’s. Well even now almost a month later he still had a cough whenever he woke up and itchy eyes and a mildly runny nose. Since Ken has allergies and eczema and I have eczema, this means our kids are 80% likely to develop allergies. I already know Quin has eczema. Looks like Alex has hay fever type allergies. I took him to the doctor Tuesday because Ken had conjunctivitis and he thought Alex might too. Three weeks ago I might have said yes but not now. The doctor thinks it is allergies as well. Told us to try Claritin first and if that doesn’t have any affect, a prescription of Zyrtec was given to me for him. The Claritin seems to be helping he’s no longer rubbing his eyes, still has the post nasal drip cough when he wakes though.

My poor little munchkin, I think Quin is cutting a couple more teeth. He’s waking up in the middle of the night and takes a while to settle down afterwards. He’s cranky and constantly wanting to chew. I hope they come in quickly.

I already knew I needed a hair cut but the hot humid weather has confirmed it. Ken told me I needed to let it grow longer. I of course looked at him like he was nuts. First of all when it’s long I have to wear it so it’s off my face. If I don’t my face looks fat. I’d rather have it short and not have to deal with the extra time it would take to put my hair up. I barely have time to brush my teeth, how am I going to have time to put it in a French braid. Second of all my hair is really thick and wavy, so humidity makes it worse, it then sticks to my neck, ears and forehead all of which drives me nuts. Having the hair stick to my ears actually kind of freaks me out because I think it’s a bug crawling on me. Ken gave a big sigh when I explained why. I then told him that if I ever got on What Not to Wear, that the stylist Nick would agree with me, that it looks better shorter. So Now I have to figure out when to get an appointment. Michelle works Monday, Tuesday and Friday evening and Saturday morning. I doubt she’s working this Monday with the holiday but I’ll call and see if I can get in Tuesday. Friday is out, I work and Saturday Ken has a wedding. If I don’t get in this week I’ll have to wait until next Monday. Bleh

No comments: